Posted on February 2, 2013
Answers to those Frequently Asked Questions and a brief history of Don’t Move Puppet Theatre:
“We found the content to be very appropriate for prep children. It was very relevant to the kids and we appreciated the effort to involve the teachers names and information about the school. The children loved the show, John had them (as well as the teachers and parent helpers) in fits of laughter. IT WAS AN AMAZING SHOW. Very professional and the acting was amazing. The kids loved the set and they were fascinated to see the inside and how everything worked. The puppets were at a high quality and were very realistic. It was fantastic. We loved it and will definitely be booking the company again. John was fantastic and had great control over the kids and kept them ENGAGED THE WHOLE TIME. Well done.10/10″
* Please note I am currently NOT performing for child care centres, parties, festivals or similar events. (I am currently concentrating on my schools incursion program, and perform mostly at Schools, Kindergartens and Libraries.)
* Yes I come to you, anywhere within Victoria or beyond on request!
* Unless otherwise arranged, shows are performed by one sole performer, – usually John Evans, Company Director and qualified teacher, author and performer.
* I require minimal space, (think of a large fridge with a roof).
* I DO NOT require a stage, and children usually sit on the floor.
* I must have access to one power point.
* School show sessions are 90 minutes in length. Sessions for most other events are 45 minutes in length. This includes 40 minutes of show and 10 minutes of warm up/follow up activities (which vary depending on circumstances).
* Shows are very interactive and are altered to suit the event.
* Payment is made in two parts ; 50 % deposit, 50 % on the day of the performance. (Schools pay a set deposit of $ 220 per day booked)
* I have a “Working With Children Check” card (via a police check) which can be shown on request.
*I am covered with Full public liability business insurance.
*I have an ABN and TFN, both available on request
“John’s performance was professional and very enjoyable for students. The students learnt a lot about plays and presenting a puppet show. The after show talk about theatre and a puppeteer’s secrets was INVALUABLE for students and impressed the staff attending. Organisation and communication via email was great and very prompt. The workshop ran like clockwork, even though there were lots of kids. Overall, a fantastic way to engage our kids in our ‘pulling strings’ topic. 10/10”
HISTORY: Don’t Move Puppet Theatre was established in 1990 out of the perceived need for accessible theatre. We created our first show for the Polly Woodside Maritime Museum called “William On The Woodside”. This show was performed for visiting school groups to the museum and we soon became ‘entertainment coordinators’ for the weekend activities as well. Soon we decided to create further shows, and when the Victorian Arts Centre approached us about a circus day for children, we created our second show “Circus With Punch”. From there we wrote further shows, designed and made a second more compact and portable puppet booth, and started working for Schools, Kindergartens, Parties, Libraries, Shopping Centres and the like. Entertaining children since 1990. At the request of many people we are also providing WORKSHOPS, mainly for schools. John has also been a professional actor since 1989 and has appeared in various television commercials , corporate videos and the like.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT ME PERSONALLY.
“A great set up…. Your experience shows in your manner and language used. A great story with lots of laughs and characters. The children loved it, and could not stop talking about it -“Can we see it again!” Organised and very entertaining. Children were attentive and engaged – lots of fun. The educational value was very good, especially the talk at the end showing children the set up. A very worthwhile experience! 10/10″